Thursday, March 1, 2012

Fear and Loathing

On the Inspire site, a site for "advanced breast cancer" patient (survivor? Metavivor???) support a number of posts or discussions have been up lately about sex and husbands...well, one was about a husband of a late stage cancer patient who was wondering why other husbands were showing up on the site, and two others were about sex and the cancer patient.

It was good to see frank discussions about this....mostly about us feeling badly for our husbands that we didn't have any sexual drive, found that sex was painful, and that they were just in this position at all....having a wife who wasn't in good health.  A number of us were quite young...even though I'm not young now, I was when I started out on this journey.

One woman said  that "sex doesn't have to be penetration."  I commented that I "got" that, but because of the lack of estrogen from long term removal of my ovaries, I'm not even really interested...and I feel that I'm sort of cheating my husband.....

Her comment back a little bit later was that we were being selfish and filled with self-pity.  Bull-pucky.  That's not it at all.   I am wistful that things aren't different, and I do feel that my husband has gotten the short end of the stick.  I really feel that she doesn't understand....and she may not have the same issues...there ARE people on that site which are stage III, or haven't had their ovaries removed or whatever....

I also have been struggling with getting people to understand what a stage IV diagnosis means....and that while I have hair, it doesn't mean that I am not fighting cancer.  Trying to get them to understand that we are more inclined than the average patient to feel like "the other shoe is about to drop."   I went to the A Wear Affair, a fund raiser for Noble Circle in Dayton which included a fashion show....as they said the names and the number of years they had "thrived" with cancer....I must admit to feeling a bit jaded as people clapped for people who had had lesser diagnosis or shorter years out....and knowing that there were very few people in the room who really understood and maybe felt the same as I....fortunately, I was sitting with another MBCer.... ah well.....yes, I guess on some days I do feel a little jealous....maybe I'm just getting tired of fighting the battle.

And then there is the desire to get somewhere back on even keel. Wondering if you'll be able to do it...trying to find the "new normal."  Praying that the drugs which are working continue to work and maybe that the pain would go away.


And yah....Adinfinitum sent me a sample of organic lubricant called "Valera."  I have to admit...I'm afraid to use it.....gotta get up the courage....years of pain makes it a little difficult to even think about.....

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Herpes simplex Viruses and every other diseases such as HIV/AIDS, CANCER, PARALYSIS, HPV, FIBROIDS, INFERTILITY,(INFECTIONS), and every others are curable. Best known to my is with the use of Herbal Remedies. I have said it before and still saying it Again, being an HSV carrier or any other isn't a death sentence. living on drugs to survive. Can Hinder you from many activities I can never be part of that to hide the truth. To be honest with you reading me again, it will be so disastrous if the rate of increase of sickness still exist and nothing is done yet for the physician therapist to anouced thier cures.
    Well I'm not longer interested but to the word , they're cures to all sickness/diseases. Dr. Odey Abang among many others is live curing people and through me others where curious meeting him and all got theirs. It's over a year now I got my cure and till date he had helped through me others have been cured , if you wanna contact him for your cure so you can confirmed. I'm Alex Armstrong from Chicago Illinois
    You can reach him up @
    odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete