Sunday, November 25, 2012

Nadirs

Nadirs...Whenever I hear the word, I think of the "spell" which Angela Lansbury cants in "Bedknobs and Broomsticks"...only because she also uses the words apogee and perigee--both astronomical terms.  Technically, a nadir is the low point, and directly opposite the Zenith..and is often thought of in reference to the positions of the sun and the moon.     In more common parlance, it often refers to the low point of someone's career or spirits.

In chemotherapy, however, it refers to the low point of blood counts particular to the chemotherapy used.  With Xeloda, the nadir is found on days 10 - 14 of the cycle...For many drugs, the nadir lasts between 7 and 10 days, during which time the patient is more susceptible to infection and illness.  That's when fatigue usually hits the worse.  It is annoying that on the Xeloda (Capecitabine) list, the duration of the nadir is listed as "N/A"  which would be either not available" or "not applicable" I'm not sure which.  This is when my hands start hurting the most and my feet start splitting if they are going to split. The sad part about Xeloda is that I don't really recover from each bout before I have to start the next.

Anyway....make sure that you are careful about your nadirs...take special precaution so that you don't catch something when your counts are low....and always make sure that Nadirs don't also refer to your spirits..or at least I hope that your spirits remain good while you are getting your treatment.

Oh yes...the photo? Well, it is the foot prints of a raccoon which has taken up residence in my backyard and caused a nadir of my spirits as the danged thing ravages my goldfish pond and has made snacks out of most of my beautiful pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment