Thursday, December 27, 2012

Taking a Trip: Togetherness for young, Late Stage Cancer Families

On Sunday, I saw the CBS Sunday Morning Show which highlighted the Jack and Jill Foundation for Late Stage Cancer.  This foundation offers trips for young families who have children between the ages of 3 and 18, have late stage limited life expectancy cancer, have a life expectancy of at least 2 months and have not participated in any adult dream, wish or similar program.  The applications must be made by their oncologists.

This is a great program, although the amount of trips and locations are limited (donations are always welcome to help make this come through).  When I was first diagnosed with Stage IV (late stage) cancer, my daughter was 4 1/2 years old.  The second time, she was 17.  Literally, my daughter doesn't remember a mother who wasn't either fighting for her life, or limited because of damage to my pelvis.  My hiking with her wasn't as long as it used to be because the radiation tightened the muscles in the right hip and it was often painful.  I have talked to her about her childhood and she remembers me sometimes not going on hikes and trips, but sending her with her father as I couldn't do the physical part of the trips.

With the vacations together through the Jack and Jill Program, it creates times and memories which are pleasant and not always with the angel of death hovering over all.  Cancer takes a toll on the whole family.  In all my married life, we only took one vacation which was NOT to see family.  Funds are often not there for "fun" trips because of all the medications and co-pays we must pay.

I wish I had known about this when my daughter was still under 18.  But, it is there for others.

Take a look at the program.  You can find out more here.

1 comment:

  1. This foundation offers trips for young families who have children between the ages of 3 and 18, have late stage limited life expectancy cancer, have a life expectancy of at least 2 months and have not participated in any adult dream, wish or similar program. The applications must be made by their oncologists. Breast Cancer Screening Houston Texas

    ReplyDelete