Sunday, October 30, 2011

Ah....those aches and pains!

People who have made it through chemotherapy often (usually?) find themselves in the next stage, the "OH MY GOODNESS! Is this a normal ache or pain or is it CANCER!!!!!!!????"  I admit, I'm there...especially since my markers doubled last month.  My headache...my new ache in my pelvis...is it....or isn't it????

What makes this even more difficult to discern (in addition to my getting older, I mean goodness, I started this journey at 34!), is that while on chemotherapy, the chemo suppresses your immune system.   Arthritis is one of your body's immune responses.  Basically, when your body sees something inflamed or problematic and it can't get rid of it, it walls it off with calcium (remember those micro-calcifications they look for in mammograms? arthritis, simplified, is your body laying down calcium around joints.

When you are on chemo, your body doesn't feel those aches and pains so much because the chemo doesn't allow it do.  Think about it, one of the treatments for rheumatoid arthritis is to use a lesser (meaning not as much as you are given for cancer) amount of methotrexate, a chemo drug.  So, it makes sense that we wouldn't feel or notice as much, then whammo!  When we're off it, those of us who are of a certain age get lovely aches and pains.

This isn't to say that it is ALL arthritis, or bursitis, or changes in the weather...we ARE at risk for mets, but try to keep calm, think of the other possibilities, and then talk to your oncologist about it.  You need to be vigilant, but not paranoid....yeah...that's hard....but necessary. Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. i have been suffering from (HSV) disease for the last four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr Isibor and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr Isibor telling him about my (HPV) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr assured me that i have cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email Dr Isibor on his email :drisiborspellhome@gmail.com or his whatsApp contact +2348107855231

    ReplyDelete