Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Don't be Chicken! Participate!!!!

One of the websites I ran across a while ago is Dr. Susan Love's Army of Women. Now part of me balks at the title of this, as men get breast cancer too, but I do understand why this is the name.

One of the things that this website does is that it gathers volunteers for various research studies. Often, I don't qualify, but recently a study came across my email in-box which I did qualify for and which I feel passionately about. This is a study of women who developed breast cancer before the age of 40.

You don't have to be currently in treatment. You can be out of treatment for many years, like me. You can have recurrences, like me. I can't remember if it also calls for siblings and mothers of young breast cancer survivors or not... It does mean that you have to get some blood tests done.

To me, thats a small enough price to pay. When I look back, I shudder at the fact that I have spent more of my adult years fighting breast cancer than being healthy. I cringe at the fact that my daughter doesn't remember a mom who wasn't battling and that my husband only had three and a half years of marriage to a woman who wasn't ill, recovering or living under the shadow....I want the researchers to find out as much as they can so that others don't have to go through this.

Don't be chicken. Please, join the Army of Women. If something comes along that you can participate in, do. With this we might more quickly find a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment