Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A New Possibility...the Silver bullet???


Ok...so the picture is of Las Vegas, not fireworks, but it is the best I could do from my own shots.
According to the news tonight, they have determined that PARP drugs might have new application for those of us who are not BRCA1 or BRCA2 positive....I'm not. Apparently, the drug has been used for those who have these two gene abnormalities with good results, but it may also be useful for those who don't have the gene abnormalities.....
Supposedly, the trials will be finished and it will be approved in as soon as 3 years.
Maybe this is the patch I need. I don't know. We don't even know what is going on with me (although my tumor markers are up, there is no discernable sign of disease).
I remember about a year after finishing my treatment the second time around, and being on a ACS call in show with a question for a recognized oncologist. I asked if there was anything for those of us who went through treatment for stage IV but didn't know if it were successful or not. She laughed at me and said "So, you're looking for the silver bullet."
Well, duh. Of course I'm looking for a silver bullet. I also talked to a drug company and asked if there were any trials for people who were stage IV but had completed treatment. They said no, and that probably there would never be as they don't like to look at people who had gone through two treatments...because "success" may have been achieved with one of the earlier treatments.
I know that I can't get my hopes up, but for 11 years there has been very little progress in anything which might be able to help me....so, I'm crossing my fingers that this might be the one.

No comments:

Post a Comment