Monday, May 6, 2013

More on Caregiver Support

This last weekend, I was in Wisconsin, giving a talk about coping with advanced or metastatic breast cancer.  I spoke a bit about the need to take care of our caregivers.....they have needs, and are being drained emotionally and spiritually as well as possibly physically (depending on the situation).  After the presentation, one of the ladies in the audience asked if there were any support groups for caregivers locally.

The city I was speaking in had a population of 80,000 and presumably would pull from the outside area as well.  However, the host facilitator said that no, they didn't, although caregivers were encouraged to attend the support groups with their patient.....

That just isn't a good idea.  They need their own.  I suppose that it is a good stop gap measure....but to my mind, the patient AND the caregiver need to have an outlet where they can talk separately about the issues they have....Just as when I get together with my quilting friends we sometimes grump about the silly things our spouses have done....which is a way of getting it out of our systems without taking it out on the spouse.

Caregivers and patients do not necessarily have the same issues.  Caregivers may be  afraid that they are losing their patient.  They may be  afraid that they aren't doing a good enough job, and they also have a lot to learn in a short amount of time.  They need to take care of the needs of their patient as well as other standing obligations, whether it is job, family, household, as well as tending to their own health and person.  Sometimes they are taking on several new roles.

I wish that cancer centers and cancer support groups would take a stronger look at this.  It doesn't even have to be a group specific to a single type of cancer....but I think that it is needed....

(The above photo is an image of my Great Grandfather, John Robert Ross with his first family.  His wife, Isabella McBain (or McBane) died, leaving him with several children to take care of...he ultimately remarried, to his also widowed housekeeper who had three children of her own...going on to have a blended family).  I am a descendant of the second Ross family.)

3 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly! I'm a metastatic woman, too, and always say that in some ways this is more difficult on my husband than it is on me. I get all kinds of support, hugs, gifts, notes, etc from friends and family. He doesn't get as much PLUS he's helping to pick up more of the load in our personal life with our daughter to lower my stress levels. EVERY community needs to have a support group nearby.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from fibroid, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered from fibroid for more than 20 year of marriage after our first son and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my all and the symptoms were terrible, she had irregular and painful menstrual flow and the size of it was 5cm, and she always complain of stomach pain. we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and she left the contact of the doctor who had the natural cure to fibroid. I never imagined fibroid has a natural cure if not surgery not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it as instructed by Dr Godstime, and in one months time we went to the hospital for scan and the doctor confirmed that there is no trace of fibroid and now she is fully okay, even up till this moment she is so full of life. fibroid has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on: Drgodstimehealinghome@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2349063469910 on how to get his medication.  

    ReplyDelete
  3.  I am overwhelm with joy and happiness and i am happy to share this with you all around the world about how Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured HERPES VIRUS...ever since i was diagnosed of Herpes virus in 2015, I was always thinking on how  I can get a solution out of my body so that i can be okay again. Until One day I went online on the internet to know more about the Herpes Virus i came across a Review Comment many people are saying that Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME cured their Herpes Genital Virus, I did not believe, i search again and i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from HPV AND HIV by Dr.CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME..and i decided to contact Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME to Help and i told him about my HERPES illness he told me not to worry about,that he is going to send me his herbal medicine and actually he did.i took the medicine just as prescribe by him, he told me to go for check up in the hospital which i did and to my great surprise my Doctor told me the Herpes Virus was no longer there, all thank to you sir Dr CHUKWU MADU HERBAL HOME, contact his WhatsApp Number: +2347030936239 .His email: dr.chukwumaduherbalhome@gmail.com. His herbs are very powerful and has no side effects. He can cured all kinds of Viruses, diseases, sicknesses.

    ReplyDelete